Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'm a Loser


Don't' worry, this isn't one of those posts where I drag you into a dark, gloomy pit of self-revelation and lack of self-esteem.  No, instead I simply want to come out and let everyone know that I am a Loser.  And...because I am a Loser, others can benefit.

Ok, enough of the cryptic leading...

I am taking part in a fitness challenge as a way to get in better shape and bring my eating habits back on track.  Some of you reading this may remember that I did a similar fitness challenge last year and had AMAZING results.  Well, that's what I'm going for again.

Last year, I participated in a 6-week challenge at Top Level Fitness in Naperville, Illinois.

www.toplevelfit.com

During that time, through increased exercise and intentional healthy eating...I proved that I am a Loser.  I lost 19 pounds, 9% body fat and a total of 24 inches.  It was awesome!

But it didn’t last.  Well, let me just say that life happens...plantar fasciitis, an old shoulder injury, the holidays and Linda's "Christmas Crack" all came together to load on the pounds once again.  And now, I'm ready to meet the challenge head-on, lose the weight and fat again and keep it off this time.

By now you are all thinking; "So what? Where's the part where others can benefit from this?" 

I'm glad you asked.

I have decided, as a way to keep myself accountable during the six-week challenge, to invite you...the loyal reader...to join me in the challenge.  No, I'm not going to ask you to get up at 5:15 every morning and meet me at Top Level Fitness.  (although, if you'd like to, you will love it!)  Instead, I'm looking for your support. 

Over the course of the next six weeks, I am looking for folks to support my weight and body fat loss efforts by giving financially in response to my efforts...actually, in response to my results.

I am looking for folks willing to "sponsor" my weight and body fat loss. 

How does that work?  Again, glad you asked.

For every pound I lose...I am looking for a $1 donation.

For every % of body fat lost...I am looking for a $2 donation. 

But the money isn't for me.  See, this is where it gets really cool.

There is an organization called The Trevor Project.

www.thetrevorproject.org

The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.  Definitely an organization that is near and dear to my heart.

I'm hoping that by rounding up a number of "sponsors" I will be raising awareness about The Trevor Project and the vital work they are doing all while keeping myself in check throughout the challenge.

Ok, here's where it gets a bit scary...

I began the challenge on Monday, January 21, 2012.  That morning, before bootcamp, I weighed 244 pounds and my body fat was at 29.2%.  I am carrying around 71.25 pounds of fat!  Yuck!

I have set a goal for myself...at the end of the six weeks, I will have lost at least 20 pounds and dropped my body fat % to below 20. 

As a sponsor...when I am hit my goals that would mean that you would make a charitable contribution to The Trevor Project of $40 ($1/pound of weight loss and $2/% dropped in body fat).  Or perhaps you sponsor either the weight loss or the body fat % instead of both.

So, are you up for it?  Do you want to help prove that I am a Loser?  Do you want to take a step out and help the many Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender and Questioning youth in our communities...letting them know that there are people out there that care deeply for them?  Take the challenge with me. 

Let me know that you will support my "being a Loser."  Tell me that you will give $1/pound lost to The Trevor Project.  Tell me that you will give $2/body fat % lost to The Trevor Project.  Tell me that these young people are important to you as well.

Are you ready?  I've already begun the hard work...I just need you to say "yes."  Comment on my blog, on Facebook or on Twitter to let me know that you are willing to be a part of this important project.  Join me!

The last day of the challenge is March 3rd.  At that time, I will reveal my total losses and encourage you to then make your contributions.  However, we weigh in every Monday so I will be able to share my progress with you.

If I am doing all of this work to lose the weight and body fat...I’m thinking we may need to add a financial goal to the mix?  If I hit (or surpass) my goals, each individual could be contributing an average of $40. 

I want 100 people to join me in this challenge with the possibility of raising over $4000 for The Trevor Project. 

But I need you to help me with that...spread the word, share my posts, and get others excited about being a part of it.  Together, we can make a difference in the lives of many. 

I’m ready...are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment