Friday, January 4, 2013

Progress - Marriage Equality

One of the joys (tasks) of coming back from time away is the sifting through of the many emails that I receive while I am gone.  I have adopted a fairly good discipline of not checking my email while on vacation.  Yet, each time I return to an overflowing Inbox, I question that decision.

But once again, I find myself doing a quick glance through the highlighted subject lines, looking first for anything that needs my immediate attention and then on to those headlines that peak my interest.

For anyone looking at my email these past couple of days, it would be very clear that something important...something wonderful is happening in the state of Illinois.

My Inbox is peppered with email communication from organizations such as Equality Illinois and Illinois Unites for Marriage giving me play-by-play updates on the legislative process happening in our state.  It is looking very possible that Illinois could become one of the next states to embrace Marriage Equality.

This past election made it clear to many of us that the tide is shifting across the nation in regard to Marriage Equality.  As we watch these historic moments unfold, those of us in support of the movement can't help but be elated at the progress that is in motion.

Maine was one of the most recent states to open the doors for same-sex couples to marry.  And I had to chuckle a bit when I was sitting at the Jiffy Lube (in Naperville, Illinois), having the oil changed in the truck, and I heard a familiar name come over the radio.  I recognized the name as that of a friend of a friend back in Maine.  Apparently he and his now husband were the first in line at the clerk's office the day that marriage became available for same-sex couples.  What are the chances?

But I digress...

All of this movement on the Marriage Equality front has made me think back on some of the messages I have shared with congregations on this issue.  Most recently, I shared a message as a part of a three-week series leading up to the elections.  My hope in doing so was not necessarily to coerce the listeners to vote "my way."  I was encouraging them to do something that I believe we all should be doing...often...and that is learning the facts and voting our faith.

As a part of that series I also used as a visual, artwork from Church Ahonen (www.chuckahonen.com).  His ability to capture true, raw human emotion in his portraits paired with a message calling us to experience the outrage trapped within on these hot-button issues really drove the message home.

Another message that I shared with a congregation that was in the Open and Affirming process reminded me (and those hearing my words) of how personal an issue such as this becomes for me...a gay man.

Not to bore you with the drawn out details of the messages, I would simply invite you to take another journey with me...back to the time when these messages were shared.  And although we are seeing progress here in Illinois and we have been witness to it throughout the nation, we can be sure that there is still much work to be done.

I will include the links to the two sermons in just a bit.  But before then, let me ask you:

  • What have you done to help advance equality in your community?
  • What are the areas that you see are not being addressed?
  • What can we do to put this struggle behind us and move on as a more unified nation?

Please feel free to respond to the questions and keep the conversation going.  Because together, we can make a different...but only if we open our mouths and speak the truth in love.

Here's those sermons...

Sticks and Stones - http://vimeo.com/30278509
Where is the Outrage? - Marriage Equality - http://vimeo.com/54086816
    (be sure to check out Chuck's work at his website too)

No comments:

Post a Comment